Santísima Trinidad (MBAC) / Holy Trinity (Córdoba)

Santísima Trinidad, óleo sobre lienzo, obra del pintor Agustín del Castillo, siglo XVII, MBAC.

Explicación del propio Museo:

El avance hacia el naturalismo en la pintura cordobesa se hace cada vez más evidente con el desarrollo del siglo XVII. Agustín del Castillo, padre de Antonio del Castillo y discípulo y amigo de Juan Luis Zambrano, será uno de los que adopten esta nueva manera de entender la pintura. Esta obra avanza los modelos que su hijo repetirá y perfeccionará posteriormente en otras composiciones. Ha representado a Dios Padre, con cetro en la mano, a Jesucristo, portando la cruz y la paloma del Espíritu Santo rodeada de querubes. Aunque se muestra un tanto ingenuo para la composición de figuras principales, destacan los ángeles de la parte inferior. Estos en diferentes actitudes, posturas y escorzos demuestran una interesante habilidad compositiva.

Esta obra procede de la desamortización del monasterio de San Jerónimo de Valparaíso, pasando a formar parte de los fondos del Museo en 1844.

El Monasterio de San Jerónimo de Valparaíso está situado en las inmediaciones del complejo musulmán de Medina Al-Zahara.

(ENG)

Holy Trinity, oil on canvas. Painted by Agustín del Castillo, 17th century, Fine Art Museum of Córdoba.

From the Museum’s explanation:

The advance towards naturalism in Córdoba’s painters becomes increasingly obvious along the 17th century. Agustín del Castillo, father of Antonio del Castillo and disciple and friend of Juan Luis Zambrano, was one of the more important exponents of this way of understanding the art of painting. This work, in particular, moves on the models which will be reproduced by his own son, who will improve them in other pieces. He represents Father-God, with the sceptre in his hand, JesusChrist, carrying the cross and the Holy Spirit as the dove, surrounded by cherubs. Even if the composition is perhaps somewhat naïve, the angels in the inferior part of the painting are outstanding with the different postures, attitudes and foreshortenings and show an interesting compositional skill.

This work comes from the ecclesiastical confiscation of the Monastery of San Jerónimo de Valparaíso (1835), being adscribed to the Museum in 1844.

That Monastery is situated near the Muslim enclave of Madinat al-Zahhara.