Place de la Comédie (Montpellier) / Comedy Square (Montpellier)

Fuente de las Tres Gracias. Place de la Comédie. Montpellier.

La plaza se mencionó por primera vez en 1755 y su nombre proviene del teatro situado allí, que se incendió en 1785 y 1855.

La plaza se convirtió en el lugar central de la ciudad cuando a mediados del siglo XIX se construyó la estación de ferrocarril principal (Gare de Montpellier Saint-Roch) unos 200 metros al sur de la plaza. En aquella época, también salía de la plaza un tren más pequeño que iba hacia la playa cercana de Palavas-les-Flots.

(ENG)

This square was first mentioned in 1755 and its name comes from the theatre that was installed there and which was destroyed by fire in 1785 and in 1855.

The square significantly changed into the central location of the city when in the 1850s the main train station was built (Gare de Montpellier Saint-Roch) 200 meters from the square. In that moment, a smaller train also got out from the square to the near-by beach of Palavas-les-Flots.